Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Chiffy.

I've taken a day off today to give Jane a lift to the station where she will get the train to Peterborough to visit her sister. The day is very overcast and dark, one of those that makes you long for the sight of a snowdrop or something, just a hint that spring isnt too far away, but, in reality, we are in the middle of winter for a long time yet.

As I went out with Bunty at lunchtime I thought I heard a Chiffchaff calling in the wood next to our garden, so, on our return, I grabbed bins and camera and hung around at the end of the house to see if it would emerge. I waited for a good 15 minutes and was about to give up when up it popped just next to our garden wall. It then fed the same circuit as my various other garden migrants recently, venturing along the sheltered  SW corner, around my small sallows and brambles especially planted for the purpose.

It looked to be a dark individual but called just like our own Chiffs, so I assume its a 'collybita'?

Regardless of its race, it was a welcome reminder of autumn to punctuate these grim winter days.




4 comments:

Stringer said...

I had a chiff in our tiny garden yesterday too, got the pulse racing when I saw it flick out of our hedge flycatching ! Shame it wasn't a hume's....

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Is it the standard "Dweep-dwoop" chiffy song? I've heard so many. But never seen one!

Stewart said...

Gaz - Yes I do hope that every little sub-call I hear from a coal tit just might be the one...

Simon - No singing is different to a bird calling. Chiffchaffs call a 'hweet' note rather than that tsip tsap tsip tsat song...When you hear one this spring go and follow it until you see it flicking around some sallow catkins....

Stringer said...

Our chiff was in the garden again this morning before disappearing over the fence to the old quarry behind our place.