Saturday, January 05, 2013

I was pleased to see that the first Winter Aconites are in flower in Denwick Churchyard. Often they are later than the Snowdrops to start, so they must be around somewhere too.

A couple of dog walks today yielded some patch additions - Mute Swan, Fulmar, Shag, Buzzard and more unexpectedly a first winter Mediterranean Gull wandering the top fields with a few Black headeds. I've added these birds to the Patch Challenge record sheet and find that the sea birds are worthy of 2 points making them 'better' than the commoner species. Yet Tree Sparrow is only a one pointer.

The only other thing of note today were a few Long tailed Tits on our garden feeders, not a common sight here.

Tomorrow I'll be out having a bit of a seawatch, first thing. I'm not particularly after the typical sea birds, but it can be a good way for me to add a few freshwater wildfowl, some waders or maybe a Snow Bunting on a fly by. I'll give it an hour anyway.

You never know there may be a photo or two on the next post...



No comments: