Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hoverflies.

Have you noticed how many hoverflies are in your garden at the minute? Go and have a look. Tonight I spent half an hour looking at the thousands in my garden. There were 4 or more on every single flower out there. Although the light wasn't too good I identified four species from photos taken -


Commonest by many hundreds to one was this above -  Marmalade Hoverfly.


Above - This one is a bigger one, Pied Hoverfly.


Then its more tricky. Above is Eupeodes latifasciatus.


And its mate, Eupeodes luniger.

 This is the first time I've really looked closely at these and I'm sure I'll be taking more notice in future. Click on them for a bigger image.

2 comments:

Skev said...

Loads of E. balteatus down here too, plus a fair few S. pyrastri. I also had a few that I thought were Eupeodes spp., though I though there were E. corollae (Migrant Hoverfly). Must get a decent hoverfly reference book.

Johnnykinson said...

Nice detail on the images when double clicked. They obviously have an important part to play in the scheme of things.