Sunday, August 21, 2011

Garden Viz migging...

A migrant Tree Pipit, this one was on Holy Island a while back... 


Not much from the Notebook action this week I'm afraid, though I have a few photos to post on here tomorrow night. Don't get too excited though...

This morning while doing the moths, first thing, on the drive, some early visible migration was taking place overhead. The metallic 'pseez' of a Tree Pipit overhead was the first thing into the book. It was quite low and was seen well in the binoculars. Fifteen minutes later a second bird came through, higher this time, but both going NE?

Next to change my focus was the wooden 'chip clip' of Crossbills somewhere high in the blue. Unfortunately I couldnt pick them out so no numbers here. There was more than one and they were going S is all I can add.

A lone Whimbrel, trilling, again moving N, was quite an easy one to pick up, followed by a Yellow Wagtail, then Grey Wagtail ended the early am movements.

A steady southerly passage of hirundines in small groups of 8 - 10 birds took place before 8am.

And all of this from the garden, cant be bad...I'll update some more tomorrow ...

No comments: