Tuesday, March 09, 2010


Above - Early Moth. A garden first, on the wall next to our outside light last night.

Cooler than yesterday, and duller. But fair and quite pleasant.

I walked over most of the patch today on several outings. The first sortie was with Bunty down to the pond where I had two new species for the OFFH list.

Teal 3 male and 1 female, calling from the typha beds. They have been here most of the year, but this is the first time I have actually caught sight of them.
Little Grebe 2
Kingfisher 1 showed really well fishing from a twig on the far side of the pool. It was still there on my afternoon walk.
Jay 3 were calling raucously, but only one was seen as it flew over and into the pond willows.




Above - Jay. I'm not sure if I've used this one before? but it was for the 2008 NTBC annual report.

Siskin 17 flew N
Nuthatch 1
Great spotted Woodpecker 2
Green Woodpecker 1 heard yaffling again.

Two Roe Deer were in the Village Wood. The buck's antlers were half free of 'velvet'. The top half was bloodied and looked sore.

In the afternoon I had a visit from Gary 'Newton Stringer' Woodburn who had been visiting some local farmers as part of his RSPB duties, so I gave him a whistle stop tour of the area. We walked up the Heugh and back by the woods and down to the pond again. Of interest were 2 Buzzards, Crossbills heard calling and 2 Goldcrests displaying, the male with his crown fully spread giving a great show.

OFFH List 105

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Did the ''stringer'' arrive on his new rubber gear?

Stewart said...

Sorry Warren, no rubberist gear today only a vauxhall corsa. Thank goodness, I couldnt be doing with all that speed and excitement around these parts, we aren't used to it you know :)