Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Blair's...



This is Blair's shoulder Knot. On a quiet cool night this was the highlight in the trap. Whilst it is no looker, it is the second for vc68. Some of these moths are well on the march northwards. At the minute it seems that I am having a good run of records but I think thats only because in North Northumberland you could count the moth enthusiasts on one hand, so I'm bound to add to the record books along the way...

Another prowl around the flowering ivy produced a nice fresh Chestnut last night. I've hung on to it for some pics if the sun comes out tomorrow...

If anyone liked the look of the Merveille du Jour yesterday, have a read of Harry Eales email to me below, he has some tips on how to find one without a trap -

The MDJ is a beautiful moth and I can understand people enthusing over it when they capture one, but, I have never found this moth to be at all scarce in any area where there are mature Oaks. The pupae are quite common in late August to middle September if you dig around suitable trees and the adult moths aren't difficult to find, all you have to do is look onOak tree trunks for an elongated triangle of Lichen.

I find this moth quite commonly every year I look for it, you dont even need a moth trap, just look at the trunks of Oaks from about 10.0am onwards, anywhere from ground level to about 10 feet up.

I believe that it is more because the moth trappers operate less in October than in earlier months that the impression of it being a scarce local species has become prevelant. Larvae are also common from late May onwards if you beat any Oak tree that is reasonably mature.

The MDJ is always a pleasure to see, and I enjoy breeding them occasionally just to admire their pristine beauty when they have just emerged.


Thats the way to do it...

2 comments:

abbey meadows said...

I'll have to look for MDJ around here...thousnds of Oaks not too far away. I think the North Northumberland mothers you can probably count on one finger!

Stewart said...

Have a look Nigel, if you find one you wond be disappointed...