Saturday, October 10, 2009

Autumn proper...



After last nights stormy spell, I thought I would have a look around the garden and village first thing to see if anything was happening. 9 Crossbills, north, over the garden and 4 Bramblings west were a good sign, though things gradually petered out after that. At least some thrushes arrived with 35 Redwings and a couple of Song Thrushes in from the east. I flushed 2 Snipe off the back field. Other viz migging highlights were 3 Siskin N, 2 Skylark W and 1 Pied Wagtail S witha few Meadow Pipits.

A short look at the sea had 50+ Teal, 20+ Common Scoter and a female Goldeneye all north, while a single Red throated Diver was on the sea.

In the Village Wood mid morning a Green Woodpecker 'yaffled' loudly, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker flew over, a Jay squawked, there were 3 Bullfinches, 1 Chiffchaff singing, 1 Goldcrest and 10 Skylarks flew south while 3 Grey Wagtails flew north.

A walk down past the pond to the sea and back by the coast path this afternoon added to the earlier list with 17 Moorhen, 12 Mallard, 3 Gadwall, 1 Wigeon, 1 Little Grebe, 2 Buzzard, 2 Red Squirrels, 1 Roe doe ( below) and a Migrant Hawker quatering the pond field and showing well.

After last years 'Raddes Fest' in China and I've had at least 4 I can think of in the county, I wasn't tempted to Druridge or Holy Island. In fact, those birds have encouraged me to try and look somewhere different in the morning to see if we can find our own Yellow brow or something...





All pics - Lovely colours on the trees and a Roe doe watching the watcher...

3 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Amazing you've still got elder berries out, and some not even ripe by the looks. They finished a couple of weeks ago here!

abbey meadows said...

Good philosophy Stew though its a few years since I have seen Raddes though I wasn't tempted myself.

Emma Anderson said...

Look at that - I've been looking for elderberries to make jame and you have a whole picture-full of them! The deer are lovely, Stewart.