Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Semi - P...




Above and below - Both photo's courtesy of Tom Tams. I didn't have my camera, and they wouldn't be as good as these anyway. Its nice to see my notes compared to the pic after the event. I haven't made too many errors...

A nice suprise came today when yesterday's Little Stint at Cresswell Pond turned into a Semi-palmated Sandpiper!

The news came through first thing that the bird was flighting between beach and pond, so as I work only about 7 miles away, lunch was spent 'on the twitch'.

This bird was only Northumberland's second confirmed record after the bird on the Farnes in 1992 and was a county tick for everyone. Another Semi P had been claimed from the Blyth estuary several years ago but didnt make it on to the national record. As a result today just about every Northumberland birder was suddenly available to down tools and head to Cresswell.

The bird showed nicely on the small pool north of the causeway with a few Dunlin and Sanderling. It was a worn adult showing typically pale monochrome colouring as it poddled around feeding. On site I had to scribble notes into a work book and do them up at home. I must go out more equipped in future, after all autumn is here!

That brings my Northumberland tally up to 318, I think, and it was my second British Semi P after the bird at Saltholme Pools a couple of years back. Now, where's that Sharpie?...

Oh, with all the excitement I forgot that there was an Otter out feeding in the main pool and an adult Mediterranean Gull too...

4 comments:

Ian F said...

Hi Stew,

The Blyth Semi-p was accepted by the county, so it's actually the third County record!

Emma Anderson said...

Great to see something to rare. Love your sketch and notes.

Ghost of Stringer said...

Nice picture Stewart...

If it sticks for a day or two I may pop in and see it... I've only seen 1 in the UK before....

Now, how about that sharp tailed sand... YES PLEASE !!

Josh Jenkins Shaw said...

Brilliant sketched, whenever I see them always think I should try and do one. I always fail!!
You seem to be getting more moths than me and my trap, and it obscure places!