Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The House on the Shore...

A voice mail was left for me this evening about a reported Sharp tailed Sandpiper on Monks House Pool this afternoon - there, thats got you interested!

The sighting was reported by a novice to someone who should know better who decided on a verbal description that the bird could be nothing other than a Sharp tailed Sand. Maybe he should have suggested to the beginner that the mystery bird might have been a Wood Sand or something, but not one of the rarest siberian shorebirds on the British List.

Anyway, as a precaution I drove the dozen miles to check, just to be on the safe side you understand.

Quite a few waders were on the pool but non with a mongolian accent I'm afraid. There were 3 juvenile Ruff, 4 Dunlin, 6+ Snipe, 1 Black tailed Godwit and a good few Lapwings. A female Sparrowhawk caused some upset as it flew by. And thats about it.


Back to last nights moths. Using an outside light I had a good hour with -

Square spot Rustic 3
Shuttle shaped Dart 1
Lesser BB Yellow Underwing 2
Large Yellow Underwing 1
Common Rustic 1
Small Rivulet 3
Dark Marbled Carpet 2
Garden Carpet 2
Centre barred Sallow 1
Silver Y 3
Rosy Rustic 1
Mother of Pearl 1






Above - Small Rivulet.



Above - Centre barred Sallow.



Above - Rosy Rustic.

3 comments:

Ipin said...

I had the trap out last night at home and also caught a centre barred sallow and rosy rustic and loads of stuff I couldn't ID. I had a dagger which I presume is grey dagger as they are more common, and a vapourer (nice n easy to ID)

Alan Tilmouth said...

Precaution is a good response. I was tempted to throw the kids in the car and drive to South Gare earlier in the week on the strength of a strange gull description that could have been Heerman's or might have been Audouins (dont). I resisted safe in the knowledge that if it turned out to be either I could lie in a dark room and weep gently and no one would know.

Warren Baker said...

Can I add Rubythroat to the patch list then stewart. :-)