Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tonight the wind is getting up again. Our walk took me and Bunty around the North end at Boulmer. Of note were 4 Goosanders N and a good 'passage' of Swifts all going south on a broad front, with 50% out to sea. I had about 140 S in 10 minutes. While watching them I saw one that looked different, more patterned. I could see white on it! Then Bunty bumped me and I lost it for a second ( never take a dog birding, they're not very good at it). I dropped her lead to steady my bins. There was my bird coming straight south towards me in off the sea looking slightly larger than the Common Swifts...my mind was racing. What was it? A swift but what kind? A small wader perhaps?

No. It was a Little Tern. Its a bugger that!

I went home for tea, pleased with the Tern...

2 comments:

The Wessex Reiver said...

Nothing worse than a "Tern for the Worst" when watching what could be a rare bit of wildlife....

..... in Suffolk you'll be closer to potential Alpine visitors.

Blyth Birder said...

Whats that BR, is there a coach load of Swiss holiday-makers over?