Saturday, November 10, 2007

Dovekies.

Rain. Calm. Dull. 100% Overcast. According to the BBC weather this morning Scotland is getting rain but eastern England was dry but cloudy. No it isn't. This is eastern England and its pissed down from the off.

Two half hour seawatches from the car at Boulmer today. In grim visibilty I had -

Little Auks 35 N
Great Northern Diver 1 N
Long tailed Duck 1 female N
Red throated Diver 1 on the sea.
Possible Black throated Diver 1 N ? ( yes I know, I call them Red throats too!)
Red breasted Merganser 4

Some of the Little Auks landed on the sea but soon had to dash off as the big gulls gathered for a snack.

This afternoon I walked Bunty around Seaton Point at high tide. 5 Little Auks skittered away from the breakers almost on the shore, giving great views in the soft late afternoon light. 2 Purple Sandpipers were with the other waders on the beach roost.

3 comments:

darrell j prest said...

sounds like a good day to me

East Ayton Birding said...

Some shots on my blog from a November 2006 posting, of a Little Auk coming to a grisly end at the hands of a Great Black-backed Gull.

Blyth Birder said...

Some cracking Little Auk watching this morning, with views overhead and some almost clattering into me.

Several befell to the mouths of Great Black-backs - indeed a grisly sight.

Feel a bit mixed about enjoying the spectacle as the little blighters struggle in these winds though - I guess we'll see some washed up on the strandline over the coming days?