Monday, May 13, 2024

The Merry Dancers

 Probably my most significant observation since the last entry on here has to the the celestial one. Everyone in the country either saw or slept through the greatest Aurora display for 21 years, where all things scientific combined into a coincidence that may be a once in a lifetime event!

We enjoyed it from 11.30pm until about 1am when it began to fade. One little tale is worth a mention to show some strange reactions from people. Next door but one to us is the old school house now a holiday cottage. This means we have different neighbours most weeks. Some are quite sociable and friendly while others are scarcely noticed. Over the years Ive had some nice encounters with holiday makers checking my moth trap ( with permission of course) and one chap came to the door to ask if he could paint our shed! At first I thought he meant give it a coat of emulsion but as it is stone that seemed very odd. He was an amateur artist who I left to it after I had gone to work. I never did see his results...

Anyway back to Friday night. We were on the drive in awe of the glowing spectacle over head when a face appeared at the open dorma window in the school house roof. In case they wondered what we were up to I said and pointed to the 'Aurora', thinking it might be a nice addition to their holiday. The response? The chap shut the window!

They cant say I didnt try when they saw Breakfast Telly in the morning....

I managed some shots on my phone...

Thats the School House roof to the right, occupants not fussed...

This is facing due North. The Aurora was faint here, it was best high overhead slightly to the South East. 

Along our village road facing Southish.


 

2 comments:

The Wessex Reiver said...

We missed the Aurora down here too - basically as I'd seen the alert but thought it'll never come this far south. How wrong can I have been? Holidaymakers eh - there'll be a comment on Trip adviser next, lovely cottage but the disco lights from the neighbour were too much - :-)

Stewart said...

Yes it was even seen in France. Good luck next time Andrew....