Friday, October 14, 2022

Mint.

 



For a change a post about a moth. And what a moth it is too. This is the Merveille du Jour Griposia aprilina, with two individuals posted above, the top one being slightly fresher and darker than the bottom. 

When flipping through the field guide, the bright sharp cool mint green and black patterning jumps off the page, making you filled with desire. I remember catching my first in 2009. I couldnt believe it. What a panic to pot it up as it flew around the light on an October night. Since then I have caught it on 34 occasions, mainly singletons but occasionally up to 4 at a time.

It is specifically an moth of cooler autumn nights and tends to associate around oak trees of which we have a young one in the garden.

This year I am very pleased to meet with Merv, as these are my first since the 11th Oct 19. Two blank years in succession is unprecentented here though 2016 was also a miss. The best year here was 11 caught in 2018.

I'm not sure if some autumn species are cyclical as I've also checked Frosted Orange and Flounced Chestnut for garden stats. In 2010 I had 93 and 39 respectively but in 2022 I have 2 and 0 !   Lets hope things improve next year...

2 comments:

Gavin Haig said...

A timely post, Stew. The very moth I am presently lusting for! 😄 Still, my first Green-brindled Crescent this morning was brilliant compensation. I shall keep trying...

Stewart said...

Keep at it Gav, you'll get one, theyre a widespread moth. I like a GBCres too, theyre finished up here now. We get them from last week in Sept / first week Oct. Always nice to get.