Monday, September 28, 2020

The sad side of Local Patch Listing.

 I keep a colour coded spreadsheet of the birds on my Local Patch, Howick / Craster. I have Boulmer separately but might create a 'uber patch' next year copying my fellow blogger Steve Gale who has a similar set up in Surrey.   


As you can see above, the colour codes look like this. Green is a common or regular species seen in at least 10 out of the last 12 years, Orange species are Uncommon seen in 6 - 9 years, Blue are Scarce seen in 4 - 5 years  and Red are Rare birds on the patch being seen in only 1 - 3 years out of the last 12.

The lemon filling are birds on my garden list.

Using this record, I am looking at how the rest of 2020 will pan out. If I have a fair wind I could break last years record total of 163 species. Todate ( the pic above is out of date) I am on 161 species this year only needing another 3 to make it the best. Out of the species in the Green and Orange categories I am missing 6 possibles. They are Gadwall, Little Auk, Black throated Diver, Waxwing, Twite and Snow Bunting. Hopefully I can get three of those and maybe jam in on a rarer species too if I am lucky....fingers crossed.

Sorry to have bored you with my anorak tendencies....



6 comments:

seppy said...

Hi Stewart

I like your spreadsheet! Like yourself, I am a long-term patch lister (and former blogger from Galley Head Birding) and although I have annual spreadsheets from 2004 onwards for the Galley patch I've never looked at comparing years on the one spreadsheet - its an interesting idea and something I'll try and pull together once the autumn is over - thanks for the idea!

Cheers
Col ( aka Seppy in another life - https://patchlistchallenge.blogspot.com/ )

Stewart said...

Hi Col,
I am glad you still call in on my blog! I am not too technically minded so try to keep the sheet as simple as possible. I have recently swapped the species around into the new list format and that was tiresome, but its done now. I do enjoy working out the stats though, but it makes you realise that by October new species will be very few and far between...

derek said...

Agreed!! My patch is now 69, record is 74, target is 70. Missing lapwing, siskin and redpoll. Lapwing was a gimme until last winter when the local flock never turned up. Hoping they come back this winter, but nothing so far. The other two are long shots at the best of times. Isn't patch birding fun? (Never had a coot on patch either)

Ipin said...

I'm just as sad... I can't post a pic of my spreadsheet on here but I might have to 'come clean' and put it on my blog one quiet day...

Stewart said...

Derek - 70 out of 74 would be a result. Good luck. I see on your blog you visit Northumberland?

Iain - Yes do it...

derek said...

Bingo stonechat on Tuesday. 😁
Yes, usually February and July but July this year was a quick visit for an anniversary and half a day up the coast. Based in Cramlington and usually do Cresswell,Druridge and Hauxley. One day I'll get up to you!!