Thursday, May 28, 2020

Small fry...

Since last weekend's gales the weather has been typically dry as has the rest of the spring, but today and onwards it looks like warming up a bit. Being located on the east coast, it is always a few degrees cooler here than inland, but I'll take it.

When the weather is like this my attention turns from birding to the local invertebrates to be seen. There is always something new to photograph and of course the moth trap count is still building up.

Our village green looking good.


The lane into our village lined with clouds of cow parsley.

For the first time this week we have been treated to the pair of Barn Owls out hunting together in daylight.She is very much darker than him, here she is below, the first time we have seen her. In the 11 yrs we have lived here I think this is the first time we have had a pair out together, usually its just the male that puts a show on.

Female Barn Owl hunting the back field, photo taken from our drive.
After these, its back to the inverts. In my dotage I forget which ones I have previously identified and which are new so it pays to take some shots and work them out later.

This is a parasitic Tachinid fly, Gymnocheta viridis. When fresh it looks a bit like a standard greenbottle but the long hairs on the body seperate that. It is older now and has gone a nice pinkish, copper colour. It is a parasite of moth larvae.

Hoverflies are getting more abundant as the days get warmer. This is Merodon equestris, the Narcissus Bulb Hoverfly.
 The best moth catch was of 120 moths of 47 species this weekend, with a few highlights below.

Green Silver lines, scarce here. I had my eye on the grey lichened twigs for a while now I get the chance to let the grey show off the green.

Nutmeg. Another very scarce moth in this area.

Scorched Wing, 2 taken on one night this week.

Esperia sulphurella, only my second garden and first trap record.

Chinese character

Grey Pug

Pale Prominent



No comments: