Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Good birds....

Although I was at work today I managed to see a couple of nice birds. At lunchtime, I took an extended spell off and popped down to Blyth Harbour to see the Shorelark that has been around for a day or two. I saw Jack Bucknall's pics and fancied I might stand a chance. As is the way with these things, the bird spent 99% of its time walking and facing away with its head down to the ground, but a lot of pics taken must ensure a good chance of a fluke or two so here they are...





What a great little bird, quite confiding and even doing a little bit of sub-song in the warm sunshine.

Its not often in these pages that a bird as good as a Yellow-browed Warbler plays second fiddle but so it is today. After seeing four on the patch last week, including one in the garden, I thought that might be it over til next year, but no, I was wrong. I returned home from work tonight at 6pm in the gloaming to be immediately met with the excited calls of a Yellow-browed Warbler. As I watched the tall sycamore at the end of the garden, two birds flew out and over my head. They both looked alike but surely not? After some sneaking along the drive I soon found 2 Yellow-brows in the rowan near where we park the cars. What a sight, a brace of sibes in full territorial squabble mode only about 10 feet from our back door! After about 10 minutes they both flew to our 'pied flycatcher' oak then back up into the sycamores. What a garden record....

I managed one very poor pic, but at ISO 6400 its the best I could do...

 

No comments: