Monday, April 20, 2015

Ignorance...

A day late with this post, but there is no rush as Sunday provided very little inspiration for writing. I met with John, as usual, at Warkworth on a wintry like morning. It was overcast windy with odd cold showers and short bright spells. Summer migrants had stopped arriving as if someone had turned the tap off.

A light north passage of Linnets and Meadow Pipits, with odd Swallow and Sand Martin, 2 Chiffchaffs and 2 Goldcrests were the highlight here.

Later on in the afternoon, the sun had come out and the wind had blown the clouds away so I headed down to Craster for a seawatch. A local resident took umbridge at me parking on a hardstand outside an electric / telecom box where a sign proclaimed 'No Parking'. She asked what would happen if some one wanted in? Apart from being highly unlikely on a Sunday afternoon, I said I would move immediately to allow access. I wasn't going to leave the car. At this she said I was ignorant and left. Unperturbed, I continued my hour long seawatch without further interruption.

As I left I looked at my parking alternative. I could have moved on to a perfectly legal bit of road only feet away and caused more of an obstruction, so I think my sea watching will remain on the hardstanding...[Some people must have nothing to worry about!]

Anyway, what did I see - 1 Manx Shearwater, 5 Red throated Divers, thousands of Gannets, Auks, Kittiiwakes and seriously cocked up when a flock of small waders blasting south before I got my bins onto them. I still haven't had Dunlin, Sanderling or Ringed Plover..

Lest hope the 'tap' is turned back on next week...

.
Being laughed at by a Goldcrest...
110. Manx Shearwater

No comments: