Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sassy Ibis...






Above -  Glossy Ibis.  


I was on my way to work this morning with never a birding thought in my head until I reached the half way point and the sun was shining. 'This would be good for the ibis' I thought, but not remembering my bins or camera, I was thinking it could be a waste of time.

As its favoured field is only 10 mins from work, I thought I'd give it a drive by. A good decision! The bird was feeding only about 30 yards from the road in bright sunshine. Time to improvise. I had my scope and my phone, so these pics will have to do courtesy of an iphone 4s hand held to my old Leica.

After a few minutes watching Glossy flew casually to the back of the field for some peace and quiet.

This is only my second Glossy Ibis in the county. It wasn't long ago that this species was a real Northumberland mega-blocker seen only by Marty Anderson at Bothal in the 80s. No doubt as their numbers continue to arrive in Britain from a burgeoning Spanish population, sightings will be more regular...

Not a bad start to the working week...

4 comments:

JWR said...

nice, some good photo's to be had there if its that close

Stewart said...

Aye it was quite close and not bothered when i got out of the car quietly...

Lou Mary said...

I've been doing a bit of catch-up. Great ibis shots, I saw one a year or two ago flying over but nowhere near as good views as that!

Nice to see you have tree sparrows at your feeders!

Stewart said...

Hi Lou-Mary, thanks for that, I was struggling with my iphone against the scope eyepiece!
Yes Tree Sparrows are one of our commonest visitors...