Monday, November 11, 2013

Its a mystery....

Earlier this week, I came home to find a voicemail left from a lady in Longhoughton asking my opinion on an unusual bird she had seen in the village. Unable to check it out mid week, I had forgotten until yesterday so I rang her back for some detailed directions. News was, the bird was still present yesterday at 2pm, so this morning I popped along for a stakeout....

After 45 minutes, there was no sign of anything unusual, so I left hoping that it was probably feeding in a garden nearby, but it may return to the wood later to roost.

At 1pm I returned and, just as she told me, there it was waiting for me on the fence as you enter the wood!

From her description I fancied it would be maybe a Brambling ( orange face, white near tail etc) or maybe an escaped cage bird. Leucistic birds are also a good bet, but I didnt think of this....

Even the bill is two toned. Like Glaucous Gull!
  
Whitestart

You dont see many Robins like this on Christmas Cards!
This Robin was quite elusive hiding under thick conifers. Maybe its embarrassed? One things for sure, he WILL have a white Christmas!

4 comments:

Riverbank Images Ireland said...

Do you know if this colour variation can be hereditory because for the last few years I have had a robin with a large white patch on his left wing in my garden. Lately a younger robin has appeared with a small white patch on his right wing. Have you ever heard of these colour variations carrying on through successive generations. Great pictures you got.

Em Parkinson said...

I've had a Robin that looks like this too. Also, an almost albino sparrow and the dodgy Chaffinch in my post: http://dartmoorramblings.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/dodgy-chaffinch-and-jacks-week-so-far.html
who remains as dodgy looking as he did then. At least they're easy to spot and age if they're regular visitors. The albino sparrow lasted three years.

Lou Mary said...

What a pretty little thing! I've never seen any leucistic birds.

Stewart said...

Tony - Yes it is hereditary. Once you find a resident bird with albinism you some times find offspring in later years, if the original is lucky to survive in its less than camouflaged dress!

Em - I'll take a look at that. I too had a white / yellow Chaffinch once plus a cream blackcap and a white crow and white linnet over the years!

Lou Mary - I'm sure you will one day...see my comment above .