Sunday, January 08, 2012

Larophiles look away now.

This morning I had a walk from home, down the Long Walk and back via the coast path. About a dozen of so birds were added to the 2012 list with the best being a few parties of Crossbills including one male in song, a pair of Red breasted Mergansers, a few Bullfinches and 5 Nuthatch. I'll total it up tomorrow.

After a cooler, breezy, start the wind dropped and it turned into a mild pleasant day so we took a drive up the coast with Bunty and had a walk on Stringer's beach at Beadnell. No other people were around  so a few waders were pushed up by the high tide - 5 Bar tailed Godwit, 2 Grey Plover   and a bunch of Oystercatchers while another 3 Red breasted Mergansers fed close in on a calm sea.

Lunch was at Seahouses Harbour where there were no white winged gulls, but this pair gave us a laugh next to the car.


I can just hear Mssrs Tilmouth and Garner and  Dave the Earl Grey cursing my very amateurish attitude with these birds...not once did I check the P10 tip pattern let alone the gonys shape...but their dance after some chips was as good as being at Seghill Tip thats for sure! 

2 comments:

abbey meadows said...

I've lost interest in Gulls Stew, I prefer tips that are grassed over and planted with a few trees to attract some real birds!

Stewart said...

Nice one Nigel. I keep looking, but cant get around to scanning thousands that look like wallpaper patterns for a single feather to indicate a race. After all that time, you can still be wrong!