Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Delayed Post from Sunday...

On Sunday I actually did some birding complete with scope and everything. Well I had a couple of hours around the Village and a short jaunt to Alnmouth and Boulmer so here goes -

6.45am wandered to the coast path to look at the sea. On the way noticed some viz migging going on -

Siskin /Redpoll a flock of 36, sounded like 80% Siskin. S
Meadow Pipit 63 S
Swallow 99 S
Sand Martin 1 S
Yellow Wagtail 1 S
Grey Wagtail 1 S

All in about half an hour.

Seawatching from 7am - 7.30am over a calm sea -

Sandwich Tern 35 S
Roseate Tern 1 N
Cormorant 7 S
Shag 14 S
Goosander 1 S
Little Gull 1 fs very close in with a few Black headed Gulls flew N, a good bird for here.
Red throated Diver 1 S and 1 on the sea.
Skua sp 1 N too far off the Hubble couldnt put it in a family...
Whimbrel 3 S
Wigeon 8 N my first of the autumn. Oh dear winter is not too far away.
Common Tern 1 S
Common Scoter 1 N.

Around the village were -
Sparrowhawk 1 female next to a Kestrel on fence posts.
Willow Warbler 1 singing.
Chiffchaff 1
Blackcap 1
Whitethroat 2
Redpoll 11 NE over the garden.

Nota  bad local tally.

At Foxton Bends with JWR we had Kingfisher or maybe two, 4 Greenshanks, 4 Common Sandpipers. Alnmouth Rugby Club saltmarsh pool had a juv Black tailed Godwit and a Bar tailed Godwit flew around. A Little Egret flew S and 100+ Curlew dropped in.

Up at Boulmer the tide was starting to recede and waders were moving in with 3 Curlew Sandpipers, 100+ Dunlin, 7 Bar tailed Godwit, 15 Ringed Plover and a Turnstone. 20+ Common Scoter were offshore.

Back home for lunch...

2 comments:

Mary McAndrew said...

Hi Stewart! I was looking at my painting of "Howick Haven" on my website and saw your comment, thought I'd pop over and see what you're up to. I'm glad to see you're still birding, wow you see so much! Gary and I will love to go on a nature walk with you someday. How's the sketching going? I've been mad on bugs this summer, especially those moths! Keep in touch, Mary

Stewart said...

Hello Mary, Thanks for the comment. Next time you are up here please drop me an email and we can meet up.
S...