Monday, March 07, 2011

A Kittiwake Cacophony...

A lovely crystal clear and sunny day today, with a cool W breeze.

In contrast yesterdays upland jaunt, today was with Bunty just down onto the shore. We usually stay up on the coast path, but the weather was so nice we clambered down the cliff to get a view from sea level for a change.


200+ Kittiwakes were to and fro-ing from the nest ledges making a right racket. Its great to hear them back after the winter months at sea. the whole bay seems alive again...


This was the first bird I saw actually sitting on a  nest. It checked out one or two old nests before settling at this one. I wonder if they are exactly nest faithful, or do they get better positions with experience. I suspect the latter...

I had  a peer into some rock pools, but didnt get too involved as I had the dog with one hand and the camera in the other. I think I'll give the shore a bit of investigation this year. There aren't many blogs posting info about the aquatic wildlife that can be found in this habitat ...I might wait until the weather warms a bit first though, the water was absolutely baltic today. 

No comments: