Wednesday, October 27, 2010

More Quiffed Quaffers....

This morning I arrived at ASDA armed with optics.

Unfortunately the Waxwings were having none of it. No sooner had I pulled up on the edge of the garage forecourt off they went, though this morning there were 60+ birds present.

As I was getting some strange looks from the two ladies in the kiosk I though a bit of PR wouldnt go amiss and headed over. It was fortunate I did, as they had just branded well known local birder, Mr Elliot, a terrorist and had called for security! After some good natured banter and Dave showing them some photos, the employees are now much wiser about the lives of our quiffed-quaffers and the actions of strange hairy blokes decked out with bins and cameras....

At lunchtime I went back for some nailed on photos in good sunshine. After all Waxwings are very tame...I chased the arse end of 30 birds from one petrol station to another and didn't see them land once.

On my way home from work at 5.30, I passed the rowans near the spot where I took some photos in 2008 (see two posts below). There they were, on top of nearby trees, flycatching and having a right old sing song. Out of the car, camera at the ready and look up - nothing!

For goodness sake this is now getting beyond a joke. In the distance I just saw them dropping out of the sky behind some houses...


31 (or 32?) Waxwings. This shot sums up my day.

For a better look see Dusty Bins...

3 comments:

davidearlgray said...

Send us some to Leicestershire please, we've had bugger all so far!

Warren Baker said...

At least youve got some !!!

Stewart said...

Dont panic chaps, you'll get yours...well Dave will, maybe Kent is just too southern ;)