Sunday, September 05, 2010

Last nights moths...

Before I start, I seem to have made a cock-up with my White Line Dart id. Mark Skevington and Ian Fisher tell me it is actually a Heath Rustic. Still, a new species for me. I''ve changed the caption on the pic ...Thanks lads...

Autumnal Rustic

This Autumnal Rustic was a new addition to the year list. I only caught a single last autumn so it was a welcome return.

Also of interest -

121 moths of 24sp.

Setaceous Hebrew Character 3
Red Green Carpet 1
Frosted Orange 3
Brown Spot Pinion 8
Centre barred Sallow 4
Rosy Rustic 7

JWR and myself checked Craster for migrants this morning. All we found was a single Spotted Flycatcher, 2 Blackcap and a handful of Chiffchaffs.

More bizarrely, this evening at 9pm I was out with Bunty when I noticed a movement at the phonebox ( the one where I used to catch a few moths, in Howick). I was suprised to see that a bird was hopping about inside. I suspected the local Robin hunting under the street light, but it turned out to be a Wheatear! What it was doing in a phone box in the dark is beyond me....As I opened the door, it flew out under the gap around the base and off into the night.

4 comments:

Kingsdowner said...

You will of course add the Wheatear to your phonebox list?

Stewart said...

Of course...Its not a very long list and doesnt have much potential for further additions....

Warren Baker said...

It was booking a flight to Africa :-)

Skev said...

A bird in the box is worth ...

Best get out kicking the bushes in the morning then?

Autumnal Rustic is one of my faves - they are a bit variable but some are really smart.