Thursday, September 23, 2010

Autumn moths n that...

Some nice ones in the trap this morning -

Green brindled Crescent. One of my target species and a real stunner. Look at the sparkling green irridescence.

 
Red Line Quaker


Brick ( what a name?)

Total 71 moths of 25 species




0453 Honeysuckle Moth (Ypsolopha dentella) 1
0874 Blastobasis lacticolella 1
1042 Rhomboid Tortrix (Acleris rhombana) 1
1048 Garden Rose Tortrix (Acleris variegana) 1
1076 Celypha lacunana 1
1760 Red-green Carpet (Chloroclysta siterata) 2
1764 Common Marbled Carpet (Chloroclysta truncata) 2
1769 Spruce Carpet (Thera britannica) 1
1913 Canary-shouldered Thorn (Ennomos alniaria) 1
2092 Shuttle-shaped Dart (Agrotis puta) 1
2107 Large Yellow Underwing (Noctua pronuba) 14
2126 Setaceous Hebrew Character (Xestia c-nigrum) 7
2134 Square-spot Rustic (Xestia xanthographa) 3
2199 Common Wainscot (Mythimna pallens) 1
2245 Green-brindled Crescent (Allophyes oxyacanthae) 1 NEW
2262 Brick (Agrochola circellaris) 1 NFY
2263 Red-line Quaker (Agrochola lota) 1 NFY
2265 Flounced Chestnut (Agrochola helvola) 1
2270 Lunar Underwing (Omphaloscelis lunosa) 2
2350 Small Wainscot (Chortodes pygmina) 2
2353 Flounced Rustic (Luperina testacea) 1
2361 Rosy Rustic (Hydraecia micacea) 14
2364 Frosted Orange (Gortyna flavago) 7
2441 Silver Y (Autographa gamma) 3
2477 Snout (Hypena proboscidalis) 1

 
I took Bunty out before work this morning. In the back field a Buzzard over a kill on the ground was being mobbed by an adult Peregrine, that was very vocal. I think the Buzzard might have usurped the Peregrine from its breakfast.
 
From the road I heard a Yellow browed Warbler call twice from the copse next to our garden. I hurried back, dropped Bunty off and went to investigate but I got neither sight or sound of it again. It makes you doubt your own ears when that happens...  As a result its not going on the OFFH list...
 
I hope its still in there to give me a second chance.
 

2 comments:

Broom Birder said...

Hi Stewart,

It always fascinates me just how much earlier you get your moths in more northerly climbs......It'll probably be next month before I get Green-brindled Crescent.....Pity about the YB Warbler, I have to make special trips for those. They rarely turn up in Beds.

M

Bennyboymothman said...

Mind blowing catch you have there! we really struggled last night under clear skies as my blog will explain!
I've not seen any Sallows yet at all.