Monday, August 02, 2010

Blog Neglect

Hello all.

I'm still here. I've slipped into a moth induced stupor lately where my eyes now have a 12 inch focal point. I must start to get out again now that autumn is here ( oh yes it is). Tonight a Golden Plover whistled mournfully as it flew over the garden.

This is our village wood. Its called Village Wood. Over the past week or two its been a riot of cloudy scented flowers of  Meadow Sweet and full of Whitethroats, Sedge Warblers and Willow Warblers.

As my vision are still in close focus these caught my eye...

At least 16 spikes of Broad Leaved Helleborines were in flower though some have been eaten off by Roe Deer.


This Longhorn sp was in there too...[Strangalia quadrifasciata. Thanks Dean].



But, back to the job in hand....

A lot of new species for the garden this weekend.

Orange Swift

Argyresthia goedartella

Cherry Fruit Moth

Argyresthia albistria

Carcina quercana

Agonopterix nervosa

Cnephasia longana ( 1st -3rd records for VC68)

Pearl-band Grass Veneer

Scalloped Oak

Small Wainscot

1497 The name looks like I've fallen asleep on the keyboard!
Amblyptilia acanthadactyla!

Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing (female)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cracking shots Stewart. The Longhorn Beetle is Strangalia quadrifasciata.

The Wessex Reiver said...

I know what you mean Stewart about focal points - because of you and a few others I've begun to study insects properly (just need a good camera now for macro photos after my G9 broke) - everything looks so much better when in miniature

Warren Baker said...

Hmmmmm....I recognise some of those as the little white things that keep flying up from the long grass :-)

Stewart said...

Dean - Cheers. I couldnt find it in 'chinery'.

Andrew - Its another thing to keep an eye out for....

Warren - You might see Spotted Flycatchers carrying them too. Though not here you wont...

davidearlgray said...

Hi Stewart, I think your Broad-leaved Helleborine might be the rare variation Var.viridiflora as it doesn't look like your bog standard BL Helleborine to me.
Check out my blog for shots of Var.viridiflora and see what you think?