Monday, February 22, 2010

Still freezing...


On holiday today and tomorrow. For no reason really, I'm just using up leftovers before the new hols start in April...

The day dawned very cold, -4, but clear and sunny. By mid day the sun was quite warm, but it was back to freezing by late afternoon. I timed Bunty's first walk well, because the first bird I saw this morning was a nice adult Peregrine, a male I think, with a heavy crop, flying low overhead towards the Village Wood.

No doubt he had been taking advantage of this lot, below. The coast field had a large flock of Fieldfares, Redwing and Starlings with a few Golden Plovers thrown in, numbering a couple of hundred birds. 




Mid morning I did an atlas square not far away, at Stamford, near Rennington. Only 25 species were seen but that included the now obligatory Woodcock flushed from a stream closely to be followed by a single Snipe.

1 comment:

Warren Baker said...

Id love a Golden Plover with my winter thrush flocks!