Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pissedasa...

...Newt. No not me, this....



This Smooth Newt was wandering over the road near our house shortly after dark tonight. Usually my first amphibians of the year are frogs or toads around about Valentines Day. Newts are often a bit later, so this one was quite unusual. After all the cold weather recently today was equally foul but in a different way. Blowing a southerly gale (good for nowt) with heavy rain and sleet all day until dusk, the air temp was significantly milder than lately. Hence the Newt. I released him, after the photo call, into some stones and ivy in our garden to continue with his hibernation undisturbed.

On the same dog walk, we were going along the main road when a movement in the periphery of the torch beam caught my eye. I shone the light into the coast sheep field and found a Woodcock wandering through a patch of molehills. I followed it for a minute in the torch beam before letting it go about its nocturnal business. Great birds to see doing what they do without being flushed.

As I type this a female Tawny is calling loudly in the copse next to the garden...

4 comments:

Wilma said...

Good eye to spot the newt!

Anonymous said...

Just shows you what a slight incresase in temp does Stewart. I`m hoping this brief (emphasis on the brief) mild spell might tempt a couple of moths out.

Anonymous said...

Bloke walks into a bar with newt on his shoulder, says "A pint of lager and a saucer of water for the newt please." Barman says "That's unusual, what's he called?" Bloke replies "Tiny" Barman says "Why do call him that?"
Bloke says "Cos he's MY NEWT!"

Stewart said...

Wilma - It was lucky I didnt step on it...

Dean - The trap is on...

Anon - Oh dear dear...