Sunday, October 19, 2008

Non-Motorised...

Inspired by the two-wheel birding antics of ADMc ( so far in 2008 his bike list is about 195 ), I thought I would give it a go. My bike has stood in the outhouse for years, untouched gathering cobwebs so I decided the other day to wash and oil it ready to go.

Forgetting how critically unfit I am, a 200 yard jaunt around to the shop and back left me teetering about like Bambi. Who says you never forget how to ride a bike!

So, filled with trepidation, today seemed as good as any to cover my patch on the cycle. The weather was not as bad as forecast as I left home at 8am looking as steady as a newly hatched Peewit, but after a mile or two I seemed to get it all together.



Off I went down to Low Steads and onto the links. This party of Goldfinches were drinking from the stream near the footbridge. From here the route went off road around Longhoughton Steel and in to Boulmer Village...



This is where the wheel came off ( nearly). The chain slipped and trapped between two large cogs. A bout of verbal abuse followed by a physical kicking and my trusty steed was back the right way up...Then off around Seaton Point...



where this Fieldfare was my only new migrant today and my first of the autumn. It looked very tired, probably only just arrived.



Then I circled around the runways back to the village and off home. A few Yellowhammers were in the stubbles.

Todays notebook showed -

Grey Partridge Coveys of 8, 6, 7, 3 and 5.
Goldfinch 51
Grey Wagtail 2
Twite 3 flew S
Golden Plover 75, 300, 17, 50, 20 and 11 flew S
Rock Pipit 4
Oystercatcher 30
Grey Plover 3
Bar tailed Godwit 5
Shag 3
Stonechat 6+
Pink footed Goose 14 flew N
Lapwing 50+
Redshank 51
Tree Sparrow 11 at Seaton Point
Wigeon 8
Reed Bunting 5
Song Thrush 2
Skylark 4
Meadow Pipit 9 flew S
Greenfinch 22+ at Seaton Point
Linnet 52
Yellowhammer 3+
Fieldfare 1
Heron 4
Red breasted Merganser 2 females N.

A great way to cover the patch more thoroughly than by car, I'll definately try it again, weather (and arse) permitting....I must get one of those gel seats.

138. Twite. ( I've recounted and noticed I had missed a few like Curlew Sand, Barnacle Goose and Grey Wagtail etc...)

7 comments:

Tricia Ryder said...

Oh well done Boulmer - on all your birds and braving the bicycle.

I can recommend gel saddles; you can also get gel saddle covers!

(Sounds as though your chain needs tightening)

Happy peddling!

Steve Gale said...

What, no Subalpine Warblers?

abbey meadows said...

Most of my treks are non-motorised and it's amazing what turns up.

Ipin said...

Secca on a bike, I would love to have seen that!!

Have you got some lycra shorts yet? They'd go well with your kite!

oldcrow61 said...

lol, I can just see you on the bike for the first time in ages. Still, it was well worth it you got some lovely photos out of the ride.

ST said...

You never forget how to ride.
It takes your muscles, a week to forget the one day, though

Stewart said...

What a good variety of comments. I like it. Thanks to all who are supportive ( Tricia etc) and to Ipin I might 'have words' at the bord club do. I'll have you know I'm fully kitted in illuminous lycra and sitting polishing my helmet as we speak. I look like Daffyd, the only gay in the village!!!