Thursday, April 03, 2008

Water Pipit confirmed!



With thanks to Alan Gilbertson again, this picture confirms my initial identity that the Bothal Pipit is indeed spinoletta.The white outer tail can be clearly seen in this image ( well, maybe not clearly, but its there).The fine flank 'dashes' can be seen better here too. Border Riever has also added to the debate. After discussions with 'a man about a dog' apparently the up turned bill is a good feature for Water Pipit too. That is definately a new one to me, but I'll remember it for the future.

Thanks to all for your help. I had visions of me starting another rough-legged buzzard sketch off here...

And, changing the subject somewhat, I was parked at the QEII Lake car park at lunchtime today looking for swallows when I heard a 'mixed singer' Chiffchaff over to the west of the lake. It started with the typical willow warbler cadence then just at the end it burst into chiff chaff song like a machine gun. It did this a good few times when I was there but I didn't have the time to go and look for the culprit. No swallows though..

2 comments:

Blyth Birder said...

I am absolutely, categorically 100% certain that your bird is a pipit.

Not sure which type though.

Anonymous said...

went up friday the 4th no sign of pipit littl r plover was there also northern wheatear in horse field