Monday, February 18, 2008

Sunny clear and calm but freezing cold, down to -3.

Had a lunch stop at Bothal Pond today for a change. By then it had thawed out in the main areas and plenty of wildfowl were on show. There were 50 Canada Geese, 2 Barnacle Geese, 120 Wigeon, 37 Teal, 10 Pochard, 9 Mallard, 5 Goldeneye, a dozen Tufties, 50 Coot, a Snipe and a Redshank.

All were scanned for Yanks ( Wigeon, Teal and Aythyas) but no joy. I remember a time when we used to get Ring necked Ducks quite regularly. Not so these days, I wonder why?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe they are here stew but how many of us check through the tufted ducks to find them they could easily be overlooked.
I presume they are still common in america I predict that they will turn up again this year but we have to scrutinize the common stuff.(thats a big word for me)

Stewart said...

Go on Chris, fill yer boots!