Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Mega's

When you have work commitments the last thing you need is a message about a first for Britain, less that 200 miles from home. Today, a Brown Flycatcher was found at Flamborough Head. Had this been the weekend I would have been by now...

But it sets you thinking. The Brown Flycatcher is not yet on the British List, though the Flamborough bird is not the first. We have had our own in Northumberland...

On Holy Island, 9th September 1956, a bird believed to be this species was found by several good birders of the day including Mssrs Little, Blackett et al. Just think about it, 1956, no good field guides with eastern birds let alone the internet. This bird was accepted by the County Records Committee at the time ( though they'll not have known any better either) but rejected by the British Birds Rarities Committee because of possible confusion with a few other similar asian species of flycatcher.

I wonder if they were right...

I like historical records like this. I mean, just ponder Harry Witherby on Holy Island, September 1912 when he shot a Blyth's Reed Warbler ( one of them there today too..).

When I wander around the island in a cool easterly with some drizzle I can almost feel the ghosts of birders past...

3 comments:

Martin said...

There's also a Hastings Rarity, Lydd, 21/5/09, and the Category D Fair Isle bird that is never mentioned without also mentioning Mugimaki.

Szabi said...

Dear Boulmer,
Thanks a lot for your nice comments on my blog! I don't find your email address, so can contact you here. Mine is: kokay@externet.hu.
I'll scan your blog when I have time! That Grey Phalarope is excellent! I really like the foam patches in the background.
Szabi

Stewart said...

Martin - As you live nearer the Shetlands I reckon you could find a Brown Flycatcher on your patch. Get stuck in...

Szabi - I have emailed you...thanks.