Saturday, October 13, 2007




Above - Conkers! Is there anything as tactile, smooth and 'woody' as these Horse Chestnuts. Cool and silky smooth as a Blackbirds egg... I sometimes feel the need to push my face into the dish!




Above - This purple field at Ratcheugh often glows in the evening sunshine. Today though, the drab sky makes it look dull. The plant is called Phacelia Phacelia tanacetifolia. I have no idea what it is used for. A green fertiliser maybe?

Two visits to Boulmer today. It was humid, mild and calm but dull.

This mornings trip was very brief. I was 'flushed' by masses of dog walkers ( yes I know, that's rich!), bait diggers, fishermen, winkle pickers, kite flyers, kyakers, walkers etc. Judging by these crowds you would think someone is publicising the place... EVERYONE GO HOME ITS MINE!

This afternoon things quietened a little bit. We had 350+ Golden Plovers, 2 Wheatear, 2 Stonechat, 25 Common Scoter and a couple of Red breasted Mergansers.

At home this morning a few thrushes arrived and 171 Pink footed Geese flew north ( why?). The other night at least 4 Tawny Owls were calling around, all heard from my garden.

5 comments:

darrell j prest said...

did you have any in off the sea thrushes?
i was at scarbourgh a few thrushes came in off

darrell

Stewart said...

Yes, a dozen Redwings, a Fieldfare, some Blackies...I can see the sea at Boulmer from the field near my house. Its on a hill and the birds just drop down there. Thats where I saw them this morning.

Ipin said...

Never realised you had a conker fetish? Bonkers!

Ghost of Stringer said...

Funky purple fields and pushing your face into bowls of conkers ???? Have you been on some dodgy wild mushrooms or something ?!!

Stewart said...

Not for about 20 years now!