Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Friday









Above - The Kittiwake colony at Cullernose Point is in full swing now with pairs displaying everywhere. I am pleased with the third picture as this is hand held through my bins!
There was a big swell on the sea today even though the weather was calm on shore. There must have been a storm or a low pressure a long way out to make it this rough. The waves could be heard pounding from well inland. The reason for a short visit here was to look for a plant - Spring Squill, that is usually found on northern and western areas. No trace today, but I'll check again in two or three weeks...

On the way here there was a freshly dead Red Squirrel on the road. I nearly took a photo to put on here but it was a bit depressing, such a lovely animal wasted.

3 comments:

Gone said...

I keep passing Cullernose every week on the way to Craster for kippers, I must stop and have a sit out for a few minutes after Easter.
Ah BB now I get it, it just clicked, I think my brain works a little more slowly these days.

I realised after that Split Crow crack the other week that whenever we met birding in the early days of late eighties I had this feeling that we had met before. It has only just slotted into into place 20 years later. I was at that Ashington Central gig and a number of others like Morpeth Comrades & Red Row Social Club, Thta's why you were always familiar, although why I should suddenly realise now is beyond me.

nicola said...

Nice shots

Anonymous said...

Grocer - The Split crow boy were friends of mine and we used to see them just about every other weekend in some god forsaken place or other. The singer, Rob Davison was a bit of a birder too. I still bump into them occasionally...

Nic - Ta. I expect you are busy 'hogging' at the moment...