Saturday, January 13, 2007

Fat Balls, Great Tits and a cock....


...Blackcap!

Yes, its good to see the 'carry on' spirit lingers.
I was pleased to find this male Blackcap hanging on my fat balls this morning
(Oh stop it missus, please). The photo is exceptionally crap even by my meagre standards because it was taken through a closed window with a steamed up scope. When I opened the window and demisted the scope, the Blackcap decided to play hard to get. Probably because a female Sparrowhawk was loitering around the garden. I might have another go tomorrow when I have more time.

At Boulmer today the weather was dull and drizzly with a strong SW6, resulting in Bunty and me getting a proper soaking.

There wasn't much to see because of the weather, but 6 Whooper Swans flew S and a couple of Coal Tits and a Willow Tit were in the caravan site gorse. 3 Stonechats were on the edge of the beach.

64. Whooper Swan
65. Coal Tit



Above - Now thats what you want on your fat balls - a Middle Spotted Woodpecker! ( Dont panic the photo is from Germany )See Surfbirds.com for details of photographer etc.

12 comments:

nicola said...

I thought I was going mad then, I couldnt see the blackcap, its like one of those games!!

At least you got a shot for the record!

Lovely birds, hope to see them back in my garden again this year

Stewart said...

Cheers Nicola, they are still very scarce in winter up here in the grim north. I'm looking forward to when they'll be singing.
S...

Anonymous said...

Great suet feeder: did you make it?

Stewart said...

No, I bought it very cheaply at a local garden centre. It does the job nicely...

Anonymous said...

You know what they say Stewart,if it aint broke :) from a cuddy near you

Anonymous said...

Come on stu who are you trying to kid it looks like a digitaly altered image to me,you will have to do better than that mate

Anonymous said...

tut tut tut i see you dont take your fat balls out of your sack OH ER MISSES,sorry let me rephrase that the rspb recomend taking fat balls out of there net bags as the birds can get their claws or beaks tangled in the netting.

Anonymous said...

Great title for the post Stewart, thought it was going to be a Thai trip report!

Stewart said...

Well I'm pleased everyone liked the title, I was begining to think I was alone in the county!
CF - Ta for the tip. Next time I'll make sure I empty my balls before I hang them up. As for the photoshop accusation, I would have added a Rubythroat, not a Blackcap!
Cuddy - Have you done a blog yet?
JM - Sorry to disappoint on the Thai front...

Cheers everyone I had a good laugh at that. And if anyone out there reading this is in anyway offended by the disgraceful inuendo in this string...switch off!

S...

nicola said...

What is it with you men and your balls ?!

Stewart said...

Oops, er, mmm, er sorry about that Nicola. I'm not at all ball obsessed, I just like to look after the tits.
( Now see what you made me do...)

nicola said...

Look after, or look out for.....? :)