Saturday, November 08, 2008

Bloody Bluetails....

I knew it. Yesterday afternoon the weather changed. Not only did the cloud clear but the wind changed direction and became stronger. Things didn't feel good...

This morning I was on Holy Island for 7.30am. And off again before the tide at 8.40am.

The vicars garden was a bleak ( I nearly said god forsaken, oops...)cold place catching the blustery wind full on. Very few birds were around, a couple of Robins and an abietinus Chiffchaff was about all. The Bluetail had high tailed it to new horizons. It only took five minutes to realise that no self respecting vagrant would stay put in the face of a November Northumberland 'breeze'.

Not to worry, I saw the last RFB on the island in 1995 and that was a blue adult male.

Back at home for breakfast I looked out of the kitchen window just in time to see two of the 'Bloody Waxwings' I've been on about, drop into a birch tree behind our house. They only stayed afew minutes and flew off as I was going for the camera so I didn't see which direction. I knew my ears hadn't decieved me!

I think my Druridge colleague is right though, this weather change really does signify the end of autumn migration.

2 comments:

foggy said...

waxwings are beautiful birds and there favorite place in northumberland is always ashington
whats the atraction

Stewart said...

Rowan trees Chris. And the fact that Ashington is very near the north east coast. Its their first stop as they arrive in England...