Friday, July 16, 2021

G...Utted.

 Day 6 since our dismally failing albatross twitch to Bempton. 

I can easily get over missing out on such a great bird, so that's not the issue. 

What wakes me up in the morning is that it is still there and has been present for the full 6 days since!  Due to other commitments, work, builders etc I am too tied up to set aside a whole day for a return visit. I just wish it would leave now so I can get on....

To take my mind off it, I'm trying to focus on the small things locally when on dog walks etc. A nice Merlin dashed along the coast road the other day and an adult moulting Mediterranean Gull flew south across the coast fields. There are flocks of warblers around the village early in the morning now, Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs with a Sedge Warbler today. 

Autumn approaches...

Only my 3rd Southern Wainscot after two together in 2020.

Volucella bombylans a bee mimic hoverfly in the moth trap this week. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am from the East Midlands and would love to go with my other half to hopefully see the Black Browed Albatross but knowing our luck we will travel all that way and not see it and a round trip for us is a few hundred miles just for a life tick.Hopefully it will keep coming back like the one that did up in the Shetland Isles years ago.Hoping to see the Elegant Tern when we are up in North Wales in a few weeks time which will also be a lifer but knowing our luck that one will be gone as well.Hope you eventually manage to see the BBA…Wendy&Stuart