Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Digger Wasp




At the weekend I found this funny faced chap loitering around our sweet peas. It seemed to have a flight route around the border often returning to this leaf. Unusually for an insect of this type, it had a neck and even looked up at me when i took its photo! The massive eyes gave it a comical expression that I had not seen before.

A short sweep of the internet, found it to be a likely Ectemnius cephalotes, a Digger wasp that nests in dead logs or stumps. I have a pile of such nice habitat only a few feet from this fellows hunting path. It feeds on flies and hoverflies apparently.

A nice, medium sized wasp, a new one on me.

2 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

interesting, I'd have thought it was a nomad cuckoo bee or just a hoverfly!

Amanda Peters said...

Nice looking little chap, have noticed more insects this year, especially Hoverflies..Who new there was so many..Love..em
Amanda xx