Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Moonlighting


Last night and again tonight I have been impressed by the clear white glow from the full moon.

I have walked Bunty twice each night without the need of a torch. Last night at 11pm a wander down our lane was fantastic. The silver ethereal glow lighting the road and pale leaves, tracing branches in foil. Redwings seeped over head to the sound of Tawny Owls in the woods. I scanned hard with night accustomed eyes for a Barn Owl without luck. Now that would have looked special.

Tonight at 7pm I walked over the hay field to the coast path, again only by moonlight. The moon was still quite low in the eastern sky, leaving a wide silvery shimmering reflection on the high tide. The only incandescent light was from shore anglers lamps on Cullernose and a cargo vessel offshore.The walk home, back to the moon, showed our village in a light that looked like a Dickensian Christmas Card or maybe a Watkins-Pitchford etching (google him).

If you can get out to a place without light polution for a stroll give it a shot, you wont be dissappointed. Now its 11.10pm I'm off with Bunts for another short breather before bed.

Good night all...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

'The walk home, back to the moon.' Thought you'd moved to rural Northumberland, not outer space!!

Emma Anderson said...

The moonlight in Redesdale has been outstanding too, Stewart. As my problem neighbour is away for six weeks, I am able to enjoy it to the full without any extraneous light getting in the way.

abbey meadows said...

A bit of Betjamen narrative Stew, pity you couldn't have scanned one of BB's etchings to match the post. Quality stuff.

Adam Williams said...

You've inspired me to do some reading today,i love BB's books Tides ending and Dark estuary are two of my favourite books.

Ipin said...

I've just got back home from a night out in 'the toon' and the moon tonight is fantastic...even after 7 pints

oldcrow61 said...

A wonderful picture there Stewart.