Tuesday, July 14, 2009

They're all Red veined Darters!

I couldn't resist it. I popped back to the Summerhouse Lane Pond today for a second look at the Red veined Darter. These dragons are rare migrants from southern Europe and are usually only found in the south in good years and are mega rare up here. A few breed near Southport but other than that they are rarities.

Bearing that in mind, imagine my shock today when I found that every 'red' darter I looked at was a Red veined. I had between 6 and 8 individuals around the pond edge ( I later heard that Richard Dunn had as many as 14!) I think I cocked up i.d yesterday with my Ruddies, they were all RVD's.



Above - This is the pond. RVD Habbo...



Above - Pristine top left wing....




Above - Raggy notched top left wing...



Above - Nice red veins...



Above - Look at the pterostigmas on that...



Above - Only one whitish body stripe...



Above - Blue in the face...

Not only those but the male Black tailed Skimmer ( Harry Eales had 4), 2 Emperors, including one that caught a Meadow Brown in flight, cut its wings off and ate it in about 15 seconds, 1 Four Spotted Chaser, 1 female Common Darter ( or teneral -immature - male).

I hope the pics are not dragon overkill but they are fantastic and up here we might not get the chance again. I suggest you go and see for yourself they are well worth it...

Oh and tonight back home the Roseate Tern was fishing very close in again. I might try and get some pics tomorrow evening if it is there...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No overkill at all, Stewart. Just hope one crosses my path one day.

Ipin said...

I feel a twitch coming on!

Warren Baker said...

I hope I find one on my patch then. I know what to look for now!

oldcrow61 said...

I do envy you seeing these beauties. Great photos.

abbey meadows said...

Not enough Stew keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Only just seen this blog bit....great stuff!
..there's been 'unusual' numbers of RV in Leicestershire lately and i had been wondering if other counties had noticed an 'up-swing' in occurrence....seems so! Crackin things red veins....had one on my local pond recently...[not really suitable breeding habo]...so these RV's cud 'drop in' almost anywhere...[anywhere there's water that is...maybe not yer bath-tub tho]!

'Beast' wishes....