Tuesday, March 11, 2008

As I drove up the A1 home from work at 5.30pm there was an almighty rain storm. It left a golden glow and a 180 degree rainbow and removed all hope of a walk along the beach with Bunty. But, I thought, what the heck, we'll go for it anyway and by the time we arrived at the north car park at Boulmer the rain clouds were out to sea.

We walked north to Longhoughton Steel checking the waders pushed up to the cliff by the big tides. I got a shock when I saw the Curlews. Oh no I thought, here comes a massive, throat choaking, slice of humble pie because there must be 600 in that flock. There was a huge number of them swirling around looking for somewhere to land. I made several attempts to count them but their movements in the air and constant reshuffling made this impossible. Best estimates were 300 - 400 birds, way short of the magic figure but seeing those birds made me think that such a total may be on the cards after all...I must check them again and try a more accurate count.

Also along here were 21 Knot, 50 Oystercatchers, 30 Dunlin, 5 Shelduck and 4 Mallard.

I see that the main access road to Boulmer from Longhoughton will be closed for repairs for 4 days from the 17th. Open just in time for Good Friday...

No comments: