Sunday, November 25, 2007

Saturday 24th November 2007

Dull but brighter later, breezy SW4.

Possibly the rarest sighting of the day at Boulmer was the pond that had formed in the usual spot. I took a photo on my phone because it won't be there next week. I can hear JCB's starting up as I type this...

51 Bait Diggers in the Haven was a good count, possibly an influx related to recent weather patterns. They had turned over the whole mudflat as efficiently as a tractor pulled plough in an attempt to denude the shore of lugworms.

As a result of this increased activity few birds were around at low tide. I ventured back down with B later in the afternoon.

1 Great Northern Diver drifted south off Seaton Point, 1 Swan, probably a Whooper, was on the sea about a mile offshore. Binoculars only meant id was down to shape and jizz only. 5+ Purple Sandpipers were at Seaton Point while 4 Red breasted Mergansers were on the sea. 75 Redshanks fed on the pond edge ( Did you see that? I said 'pond'. I'm filling up, this is an emotional event here...no sign of the Baird's. Must have gone.) Also around about were 5 Tree Sparrows, a couple of Goldcrests, 100+ Lapwings, 40+ Curlew and a Grey Seal guzzling a flattie just offshore.

2 comments:

ST said...

Ha, i have actually seen northumberlands answer to brigadoon.

Stewart said...

You saw it too! I knew it. I thought I was going mad up here alone...