Saturday, May 19, 2007

At Boulmer today the wind was quite strong, SW6 or 7 with some bright sun and quite mild.

As I walked my stinking terrier ( you don't want to know what she rolled in )along towards Longhoughton Steel the tide was well up and just about to cover the rocks. Nice timing to sit and watch the waders comng up close.
There were 225+ Turnstones, 150+ Dunlin, 50+ Ringed Plover and 3 Whimbrel. An immature Little Gull came in from the sea but flew around then headed off south, 2 male Red breasted Mergansers flew south.

Just as the tide swamped the rocks and moved all the birds off, a massive juvenile Glaucous Gull flew in and landed on the sea with a Herring Gull. It was taking a bit of stick from one or two Herring Gulls so it was quite restless, making it easier to see as it flew up and landed again a few yards away. I finally left it sat offshore just north of the village.

As I write this, hot off the press, a drake Ring necked Duck has been found at Linton Pond. Ten or more years ago we used to get these yankee tufties just about annually but they have been very rare in the county in recent times. I bet this one attracts quite a few interested parties. I think I'll give it a go in the morning.

Hopefully I might get a snap or two, as I have been a bit slow off the mark with the camera recently. I could have taken a few today had it not been left at home...

120. Glaucous Gull.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

just been up to see it stu it has pared up with a female tufty so it may well be there in the morning good luck I wont mention storks.

Anonymous said...

talk about it being slow on the camera front - I can't remember taking a pic in Northumberland this year!... and the RND did not stick either...

Stewart said...

Yes John, Its a bugger that...
Chris - No Stork, No Wryneck, No Ring necked Duck I'm doing well...

Anonymous said...

I get homesick looking at this site. As an Alnwick exile it keeps me sane. What photo equipment do you use? Regards Weatherman.