Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Anti-social Media.

Once again I have found myself neglecting the blog. Usually I have some reason or another, been busy, other stuff to do etc but lately there is a more sinister reason for this lack of entries. Social Media. Or should I say, Anti-social Media. I spend probably hours gazing at digital imagery on the phone.

In 2006 when I began this blog, I did it as a diary rather than some form of written social statement. I was never going to push the boundaries of anything. Then, some years later,  came Twitter. I like Twitter, you can link with loads of like minded people who you don't know, but they become 'pen pals' if you like. News comes through as it happens, info is passed around and it is like reading a bespoke magazine just for you that never ends.

Remember that bit. It never ends.

When it came to Facebook, I always resisted the connection saying it was just frippery, boring stuff with endless pics of people's meals and cats, but my friend John was on it and not on Twitter so I joined to see what he was posting. So I could see his photos and stuff.

Then smart phones became ever more seductive. Info on the go, at anytime, at a press of a screen. No longer would you be out of touch with mates you'd not seen for ages or people who have moved abroad, no, its like they live next door, or even in the same house! You can join groups and get advice on things you know little about, you can troll those you disagree with too.

This is where all the time goes. I know it and most of you know it too. We hate it. We all think that this social media mullarkey is a right old pain in the arse so why is it so prevalent in our lives? I cant answer that one, but lately I have considered jacking them all in, but cant do it. What if I miss something? Not someones breakfast or cream tea but something important to me, like my nephew's school play or nice pics of the rare bird I have just been to see ( or dipped).

As I have mentioned earlier, this stuff never ends, that's what irritates. There is no escape or down time, because that too will drive you mad. Its like an addiction.

What is there to do about it?

I don't know. I'd like to trim it back and keep my blog updated more, at least that's more writing rather than throw away commenting. I think. I'd like to read books more rather than the inane sometimes aggravating comments on the small screen too.

If you read this, and are not too busy on your phone, leave me a comment, telling me what you do, or try to do with this bloody awful demon in our lives...

Normal service WILL be resumed!




  

16 comments:

Steve Gale said...

Well Stewart, you will most probably not be surprised to hear that I think along the same lines as you - this social media is a blessing and a curse. If any one strand has to go, it's Facebook (home of the needy), then the blog (because that has no 'need to know urgent news) and then Twitter (which is, after all, a news feed - or should be). Having said that, the only strand that really exposes your soul, your creativity, is blogging. My heart says that is the most important. I've tried to resist checking the phone and tablet until the evening (didn't work), contemplated binning Facebook (may still do) but will not give up blogging.Any help?

Guillermo García-Saúco said...

Wow. I agree so much with you. I also feel sad, because when I don't use my phone for a long period of time, such as several hours, I feel the urgent NEED to take a look at my social media "in case" I am missing something. Although I try to keep my blog updated with every nature thing I do, otherwise I think I might just forget what I've seen... I feel blogs are different. They're way more personal, in my opinion.
I don't know. I wish there was a cure for this social-media-disease.

Perhaps finding new hobbies would help?

Best

Skev said...

I use FB too much, but can't really be arsed with Twitter - although that's mainly due to the various updates cocking it up so I can't see posts in any sort of sensible order.

But my blog is back up and I'm back to posting general stuff that I can look back on - not really bothered if anyone reads it or not. I'm posting far more photos on there now than I ever did/do/would on FB or Twitter.

Anonymous said...

I just keep to the blog. I don't do twitter, Facebook or any of the others. If it's really important news friends and family will make sure you hear it. It's information overload otherwise. Good luck trimming back, I know many folks find it very hard disconnecting from it.

Stevie Evans said...

timely & thought provoking Stewchat
what did we do with all those hours before we began browsing "social media" ?
its an absolute compulsion - so much to see & learn, every now & then picking up a bit of gen from folk you've never met or even spotting an overlooked hidden gem.
I fear there may well be no going back, but look forward to reading your future bloggings.

Ragged Robin said...

A wonderful post Stewart - as someone "addicted" to Twitter I empathise with everything you say! Have still managed to resist the temptation to join Facebook as Twitter is time consuming enough as it is! I don't have a smart phone so when I am out I do escape from it but while at home I must spend several hours a day on Twitter!! First thing I check when I have returned home having been out! Even at night when trying to read I still find myself checking it every single hour! So sadly I don't know of a cure or answer. Just hope someone else does!!!

Gibster said...

I read this, and I swear I was gonna leave a deep, meaningful comment...but then something else caught my eye and I was gone. I'll be back on the next cycle of this endless merry-go-round, might have time then....off I go....

Stephen Root said...

What did we do before twitter - we didn't know what we were missing until after it had been and gone.....and were probably a lot calmer and more relaxed and only got frustrated when the annual report was published! Social media is a habit and once started can't stop. I mainly use Facebook to keep in touch with daughters (when travelling) and friends who live abroad - but twitter I check all the time, even when I know I won't be able to go and see what others have found. Masochistic or what?! Keep blogging - blogs are far more interesting to read, (well some of them, but definitely including those who have commented above), can be thought provoking and in my view make much more of a "connection" with the author.

Yellowbelly in Exile said...

I dearly hope that your blog is not sacrificed. You have given me cause to review how much time I potentially waste. I like your local patch theme and the fact that it's not just birds. As for me; I spend less time on Facebook than in the past. I don't twit (or should that be tweet?). However, our family do communicate daily via Snap Chat and Wots App. I look each day at the Birdforum map to see what I have missed. I catch up on the blogs that I follow about once a week. My own blog used to be a weekly task, but I now only post occasionally with a catch up. Although retired, I have a few volunteer roles that keep me busy on email. It's a pleasure when we go on holiday in our tent and cannot get any reception.

Stewart said...

Thank you all so much for your comments. The blog comments are much more important that those on social media! I'm glad you took time away from your phones! :)

I am going to try and reduce my usage of FB and Twitter and get back to basic blogging...

Try....

Gordon Matthewson said...

Hi Stewart, I've been off FB,Twitter for awhile, have to have a break, too much data. In fact won't be putting them back on phone but the fact I can get all me wildlife updates from yourself and others is uplifting, when I don't get out as much great to here what's up the coast etc. Keep it up sir.
I remember the Newton Stringer(?), great blog but packed in for various reasons, big miss. Cheers Gordon, Morpeth

John said...

Firstly, Stewart please don't give up this Blog.As a wildlife photographer your blog makes very interesting reading and am always making a note of the places you visit for when I get a chance to go your way.
I am the odd one out as I am not on Facebook or twitter, I am always being tried to persuade to by my daughters. At least I'm on Wotsapp.
So give up the other two, get back your life and continue as often as you can on this blog.
Best wishes

John Barker

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Stewart,
I read a few blogs but pretty much never comment - I always assume the person blogging doesn't particularly care. But - since you seem to, here's a few thoughts...
I live in Berwick - the southern one, in Sussex - but we come up to Northumberland to visit family in Whittingham. I love these visits and your blog maintains a connection; I can explore and experience the area vicariously through your blog. This is largely because of the thoughtful words and beautiful images you post.
I'm not on facebook but am on twitter (@BerwickBirds) - though I only follow a handful of people. Twitter provides me with an up-to-date source of information about what's happening in the natural world from like-minded people. It's a prod that there may be bramblings about, or snowdrops in flower, or adonis blues on the wing - and where to go to see them if I don't have the time or knowhow to find them myself.
So – it’s all good. Please don’t stop blogging. We’ll be in your neck of the woods this weekend and I can’t wait!
Best, Chris

Stewart said...

Thanks for all the advice and comments all, I must say I'm impressed with the response! I dont get many comments. Maybe if I got more I wouldnt faff about on social media...please keep them coming I am open to any discussion about anything I post here.

Lorraine said...

Hi, I've always found your blog very interesting and informative Stewart plus the bonus of your artwork! FB is also interesting and I learn quite a lot from it via 'suggested' posts although it can be boring and repetitive, I just whizz through and pick out the best bits. Keep up the blog please.