Tuesday, September 29, 2015

I know you're in there...

This morning dawned foggy and very autumnal. It was cool and quiet. After I took Bunty for her walk I put her back in the house and took a wander over to the back hedge to see if there were any migrants about. There weren't.

As I strolled back trying to take photos of fog and dew, it dawned on me that there was some frantic calling going on, coming from the sycamores behind our shed. 'Tiissswissp!' was the cry, again and again for maybe a minute. Yellow-browed Warbler! I tried to get some bearings on it, but as I approached my usual watching spot it went quiet. So, I moved back into the garden where some thin sunshine was warming to garden edge of the trees. Surely this would get the siberian active?

I waited for maybe an hour, checking not only the garden but neighbours gardens too, but no joy. The Russian had slipped the net, leaving only a female Blackcap, 3 Chiffchaffs, 2 Goldcrests in the wood. Overhead 2 Redpolls and a Grey Wagtail with 10+ Skylarks flew south....

It might be still around here somewhere....


The calls came from those trees on the far left....

2 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I'll never have the ability to identify all but the most obvious bird calls!

Stewart said...

Comments to me on a guided dawn chorus walk I was leading earlier this year -
Lady to me - How do you learn all of those calls and songs?
Her husband - Start when you are 5.

He isnt far wrong either....