Tuesday, September 30, 2014

An Autumnal Forage...

Out on Sunday for a fungi foray inland was largely unsuccessful, however we did manage a surprise or two.

The area we covered was between Debdon and Rothbury, an area of woodland and moorland edge.

Birch Shieldbug, in our moth trap, a new species for me.

Unidentified fungi. Can you help? It was quite large.


What a creature! Sabre Wasp Rhyssa persuasoria a large ichneumon that parisitises wood wasps.
 While standing drinking tea pondering a route to take a huge Ichneumon fly flew past and searched some chopped pine logs. A real stunner about 4 inches long, it didnt linger...

Sand Spurrey in the middle of the track. 

Another one where we have no idea. Help please. I believe that this may be Grisette Amanita vaginata?

Shallon, a plant growing under pines, one I have not seen before.

I believe this is Yellow Russula but stand to be corrected...

3 comments:

Steve Gale said...

Stewart, your Knotted Pearlwort looks like Sand Spurrey.

Stewart said...

Thanks Steve, I thought the petals seemed a bit pink and too pointed...

abbey meadows said...

I must have missed this post Stew. The unidentified fungi looks like Butter cap. I like the wasp and Shallon is often found in the Alnwick and Rothbury moors area planted for Pheasant cover