Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Rescue Mission...

After the Hedgehog rescue at the weekend, another good deed came about as I was coming home from work this evening. Near Longhoughton, as I drove along, the car in front flushed a Lapwing from the roadside? Strange, I thought, and as I passed I could see chicks huddled in the gutter grit!

(Image from anon)
An abrupt stop and reverse, and I soon located 3, day old Lapwings about to be flattened on the road, so I scooped them up and, to a chorus of alarm calls over head, forced my way through the hedge and let them into the field where they scuttled off on sturdy little legs. Within a minute or two both parents were standing guard over them.

A success! Its nice to see lowland breeding Lapwings for a change, a rare sight nowadays...

3 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

A safe rescue for both the birds and you. Bravo!

Findlay Wilde said...

It was so lucky that you saw them. From Findlay

Stewart said...

Yes I'm pleased it was me who came along next and not some lorry!