Sunday, July 28, 2013

Out of sight, out of mind...

On a hot and sunny Saturday in July, you dont really expect to be seeing new county birds, so a bit of gardening and sitting outside was the order of the day. At lunchtime, I quick glance at Twitter and I saw that Jack Bucknall was punching the air at seeing a summer plumaged Spotted Sandpiper, just down to road from me at Foxton Bends, Alnmouth! A nice bird, thinks I, but didnt even think of it being a county tick until I arrived on site and it was suggested by Bob Dack, Of course it is, the only other one in our area was just over the border at Derwent Reservoir several years ago - bonus.

The bird was showing well quite close in on the riverside mud with two Common Sands and two Greenshank. It was in nice spotty breeding plumage, as have been the other few I've seen, quite unusually.

So alls well that ends well, but it might have been nice to get a text off someone.

[Full on whinge deleted]

Ho hum...

Spotted Sandpiper field scribble.
Northumberland List 330.








3 comments:

baybirding said...

Sorry Stewart, I would have texted but thought you weren't twitching anymore. I think there is a real problem in Northumberland with suppression and cliques. I've more or less given upon posting news. Dave E

Stringer said...

Sorry Stewart, a nice bird but I didn't think it was that important tbh, I didn't bother going to see it....

Next time I'll think tho....

Anonymous said...

Stewart, welcome to the "nobody tells you nowt club" aka, Northumberland birding ! Dave E. is spot on with his thoughts- too many guys just tell their immediate friends and thats it.As Dave says ,this puts folk off reporting finds and the whole thing gets worse.If the regular bird -finders feel peed -off ,as Dave says,it becomes worse for all. If the national birdline services didn't exist we'd be stuffed. The old grapevine system worked quite well in it's day,but that's history. ASJ.