Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Waxwing Update...

Numbers of Waxwings in our village have gone from 4 to 14 to 36, to 100+ this morning thanks to two apple trees still hanging with fruit in a neighbours garden.

In the still of the morning the calls were superb as they circled over our heads.

Here are a few photos...If I had a proper camera, I could have filled my boots here, but you'll have to make do with these I'm afraid...







If I remember rightly they are aged and sexed by wing markings and chin patterns though I havent consulted 'Svensson'. Please keep me right if I have made an error here - 

I think - 

Immature male ( some yellow, more and larger red tips)

Immature female ( very little yellow, and few,small red tips)


Adult male female ( bright yellow with white ladder effect, plus long red tips)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last one is adult female - only 3 red wax tips. A male would have 6+ red tips.

Stewart said...

Cheers, click on the image, it has 5 I think? Still not enough....

Anonymous said...

Yep, could be 5 there, but also that gap, adult males have a solid row.

Other points to look for are the length of yellow on the tail tip (shortest in 1st-w female, longest in adult male) and the black bib (diffuse-edged in females, sharp-edged in males).

As usual, seems to be about 80%+ young birds this winter.

Stewart said...

I knew about the bib thing, but I struggle with it. I didnt know about the tail though, I'll look at it next time. Yes more that 80% imms here, maybe 90% or more.

Cheers.

Ragged Robin said...

Lovely photos - such beautiful birds. Thanks for id tips re: immatures,males, females :)

Katiedaze said...
This comment has been removed by the author.