Thursday, April 12, 2012

Its been a long winter....

12th April. Still nowt. A pair of Shelduck on the coast path were new for the year but proper migrants - nil. While it has long been known that Northumberland does not have a spring, due the the cooling effect of the north sea coupled with the high ground and northerly latitude, this year is getting ridiculous.

For me I reckon on Wheatear on or about 3rd April, Sand Martin first week in April, Willow Warbler 8th, Blackcap 10th, Sandwich Tern similar,  etc, but so far none of them. Swallows are due in the village on about the 15th. At this rate its going to be summer before I see them!

Oh well the Coot is still on the pond along with the same 2 Teal, 4 Tufted and 1 Goldeneye...

Maybe this weekend will drop some in....

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

It's the same in most places Stewart. I am just getting a few Migrants arriving now, but they are almost all late arriving. Hang on in there!

Jerry said...

Stewart, if I were any of these migrants I'd make straight for Northumberland - stunning country. We're getting most of these migrants now in Surrey so they really are on their way very soon.